2.26.2009

Musings from the Disgruntled Right

It should come as no surprise to most that I take an avid interest in politics.  Nor should it come as a surprise that my personal views on politics and the role of government are quite conservative.  But I also pride myself on being fairly open-minded to views that differ from my own.  I openly admit that I voted for W. in both 2000 and 2004 but will also openly admit that I became disgruntled with the administration's policies during the second term.  That being said, I have tried to keep an open mind about the policies that are being set forth by the new administration and President Obama.  I might not have voted for him but he is still my President and was elected with overwhelming support by the American people. 

I was strongly opposed to the first financial bailout, the auto industry bailout and today's announcement of the new budget plan has left me feeling very discouraged about where this country is headed.  The administration has said that they will not nationalize our banking system.  Yet the new budget has $750 billion allocated to the Treasury to purchase financial assets of troubled banks.  This is in addition to the billions that have already been given to these institutions.  There is $634 billion as a "down payment" for a univeral health care system, which I think is a monumental mistake.  Does this mean, in addition to the money that I pay for my private healthcare through my employer, that my tax dollars will also pay for the healthcare of others?  If I'm allowed to keep my private care, as I understand Obama's vision includes the option to keep what you already have, why should I be responsible for funding a national healthcare program?  Taxes will increase from 15% to 20% for those making over $250K per year, which in theory I don't completely disagree with, but I find it hard to believe that these tax hikes are not going to make there way to the "middle class."  

Our country has made it this far on a belief in free-market capitalism, small goverment and the notion that hard work results in personal gain.  If the government continues to intervene and come to the rescue through purchasing bank assets, bailing out corporations and a national health care plan, isn't the end result going to mean a socialistic nation? 

I, like anyone who is reading this, has worked hard to get where I am in life.  I am a contributing member of society, gainfully employed, donate to charities of my choice, pay my bills and try to have some fun with the little money left over each month.  I will admit there have been times that I have relied on the government for assistance.  In 2002, I was laid off and collected unemployment funds until I found another job.  My higher education was funded by the government loans that I will be paying back for the next 20 years.  I'm grateful for the assistance but it was not something to which I felt entitled.  My own hard work is what I've relied on and hoped would provide for my quality of life.  Whether I succeed or fail should be my responsibility and not that of my fellow citizens.

Like all Americans, I want to see a positive end to the mess our nation is in and I believe we will eventually recover.  I just hope we emerge with a renewed faith in personal responsibility, limited government and the American Dream.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your concerns. I do not have answers. I am not a political expert and am not an expert on social policies. However, I must say that this comment "...and the notion that hard work results in personal gain." is one I repeatedly hear time and time again, and I think it's fundamentally flawed.

    The main issue here is the notion of "hard work". I think it is a blanket phrase that has no real meaning, like when people say "Well, that's what They always say..." when referring to urban legends/myths/"old wives' tales". Who are They? Essentially, the concept of "They" has no clear definition, because it can be used in context. It can be used to identify a hegemonic other - "They can't hold us down!", a wise person - "They say it's better to have loved and lost...", or really anything you want.

    I think the concept of "hard work" has met the same fate. I could say "Wow, I worked hard at the gym today" or "It was hard work to find a parking spot" or "That crossword puzzle was hard work"...do you see what I mean?

    Many, many people "work hard" or do "hard work". Many of these people who work hard will only ever make minimum wage in their lifetime, whether due to a lack of formal education, an absence of supportive networks, access to better jobs, etc. A sanitation worker, elderly caregiver, construction worker, maintenance person...they work hard, right? Why is it that they get paid so much less than a person who answers the phone at a large corporation?

    We embrace the concept of globalization but get mad at it when it doesn't fulfill our needs or ideologies. Let me use computers as an example. We like having access to affordable, high-tech computers, but we get annoyed that we have to call the call center in India or Malaysia if we have a technical question. We look around our house and realize about 90% of the products we've purchased in the past year have "Made in China" stamped on it. If it weren't for globalization, people wouldn't be able to AFFORD computers. They would be a product of the elite and your "Average Joe" wouldn't think he's able to afford one. The fact is, we shipped production of these goods overseas to be made at a lower cost so more of our people could own them. I would be willing to guess that a lot of people who work in call centers in Indian or Malaysia do not have a computer at home. That's totally speculation though, I haven't looked it up.

    The United States moved from an industrial economy to a post-industrial economy, and now we are paying the price. When the workforce is concentrated in services and the economy crashes, what other option is there than to lay off mass amounts of people? It's an ugly reality, and one that does not have a clear answer.

    I hope my mom and dad still have room for me. For real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - I have intelligent, well-spoken friends. Yay!

    ReplyDelete